This recipe calls for mantou, a favorite carb among the Rooted Fare team members! For those of who may be less familiar, they're Chinese steamed buns that are milky, light and slightly sweet. You can eat them straight up, dip them into savory sauces or sweet spreads like our Black Sesame Crunchy Butter, or pan-fry for a delightfully crunchy outside and pillowy-soft inside.
Today, we're drizzling Dried Chili Sichuan Dressing on pan-fried mantou and using our co-founder Hedy's mom's trick to nail that perfect texture in 8 min.
Crispy, Pan-fried Steam Bun with Avocado and Tomato
Prep: <5 min
Cook: 4 min
1 small avocado
1 small tomato
1 medium-sized mantou (steamed bun)
1 bowl of water
Salt or sugar (optional)
1 tbsp oil or butter
Anything else in the fridge you love for breakfast (optional)
- Chop the tomato and avocado into small cubes and set aside.
- Slicing the mantou into long and thin, 1/3 inch pieces.
- Prepare a small bowl of water. (OPTIONAL: Mix in a dash of salt or sugar, if you'd like the mantou to be slightly salty or sweet.)
- Submerge the sliced mantou into the water until it's completely wet (just a few seconds). Set aside for about 1 minute in another clean, dry plate to allow the mantou to absorb the water.
- Heat pan on medium heat and add oil or butter.
Put sliced mantou into pan -- you should hear it sizzle -- and toast each side for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Plate the mantou and top with chopped tomatoes, avocados, and any toppings of your choosing.
- Generously drizzle Rooted Fare's Dried Chili Sichuan Dressing to taste. Voilà!
If you're looking for a breakfast for champions, top with a fried egg!
Enjoy! We'd love to know how you liked the recipe! Share your creation and tag us @rooted.fare on Instagram or @rootedfare on TikTok for a chance to be featured.