For our final fall potluck recipe, we're creating copycat Din Tai Fung black sesame XLB or mochi dumplings! These are soft, chewy, and full of nutty, toasty flavors, filled with Crunchy Black Sesame Butter.
Black Sesame XLB (Mochi Dumplings)
xiao long bao (XLB)
For our final fall potluck recipe, we're creating copycat Din Tai Fung black sesame XLB or mochi dumplings! These are soft, chewy, and full of nutty, toasty flavors, filled with Crunchy Black Sesame Butter. You'll be making a mochi ball, then wrapping it in an XLB wrapper.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
12 mochi balls
XLB (mochi dumpling) wrapper ingredients
For the XLB wrappers
In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix dumpling wrapper ingredients. Knead until you get a smooth ball, about 10 minutes.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest for 60 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, then roll into balls. Keep balls covered while you work with one piece of dough at a time.
- Lightly flour work surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten each ball into a thin disk.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls. You can layer the dumpling wrappers on top of one another—just make sure to lightly flour each piece so they do not stick to each other.
Black sesame XLB
Holding one dumpling wrapper in the palm of your hand, place one black sesame mochi ball in the middle. Pleat the wrapper so the mochi is fully enclosed. Repeat with remaining dumpling wrappers and mochi balls. (Here is a helpful video on how to fold Xiao Long Bao!)
- Place dumplings on a parchment-lined steamer and steam for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
XLB wrapper recipe is from Red House Spice (https://redhousespice.com/homemade-dumpling-wrappers/)
XLB folding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jZPca6_i8I