Looking for a mid-day pick-me-up? This slightly sweet and refreshing Japanese Sando with fresh strawberries and freshly-whipped Black Sesame cream has you covered! If you want to check out the recipe we took inspiration from, we've linked Drive Me Hungry's Japanese Fruit Sandwich Recipe.
Japanese Strawberry Sando with Black Sesame Whipped Cream
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 15 min
Cool Time: 20 min or overnight
4 slices bread (white bread or milk toast work great)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1.5 tablespoons powder sugar
2-4 tbsp Black Sesame Crunchy Butter
Whisk or hand mixer
- Wash strawberries and cut off stems. Let them dry thoroughly.
- Add heavy whipping cream and powder sugar to mixing bowl. Using the whisk or hand mixer, whip them together until the texture gets thick and fluffy -- you should see some waves.
- If you want a marbled look, first spread the whipped cream on a slice of bread, then layer some of the Black Sesame Crunchy Butter on top and sweep the spreading knife back and forth. If you want more black sesame flavor, directly mix the Black Sesame Crunchy Butter into the whipped cream before spreading onto bread.
- Place the strawberries on the slice so that it reveals the design when cut.
- Spread more whipped cream (and/or Black Sesame Crunchy Butter) until it covers the strawberries completely. Place another slice of bread on top.
- Tightly wrap the sando in plastic wrap and let it cool in the fridge for 20 minutes or overnight -- this allows for easier cutting!
- Unwrap the sando. Remove the crust if you prefer. Cut the sando on a diagonal either in half or in quarters. Serve immediately.
Enjoy! We'd love to know how you liked the recipe! Share your creation and tag us @rooted.fare on Instagram or @rootedfare on TikTok for a chance to be featured.